Here are some things you can begin doing as soon as today to begin the great brain tune up:
Almond is believed to improve memory. If a combination of almond oil and milk is taken together before going to bed or after getting up at morning, it strengthens our memory power. Almond milk is prepared by crushing the almonds without the outer cover and adding water and sugar to it.
Drink Apple Juice
Research from the University of Massachusetts Lowell (UML) indicates that apple juice increases the production of the essential neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the brain, resulting in an increased memory power.
Research indicates that the long-term memory is consolidated during sleep by replaying the images of the experiences of the day. These repeated playbacks program the subconscious mind to store these images and other related information.
Enjoy simple Pleasures
Stress drains our brainpower. A stress-ridden mind consumes much of our memory resources to leave us with a feeble mind. Make a habit to engage yourself in few simple pleasures everyday to dissolve stress from your mind. Some of these simple pleasures are good for your mind, body and soul.
* Enjoy music you love
* Play with your children
* Appreciate others
* Run few miles a day, bike or swim
* Start a blog
* Take a yoga class or Total Wellness routine
Exercise your mind
Just as physical exercise is essential for a strong body, mental exercise is equally essential for a sharp and agile mind. Have you noticed that children have far superior brainpower than an adult does? Children have playful minds. A playful mind exhibits superior memory power. Engage in some of the activities that require your mind to remain active and playful.
* Play scrabble or crossword puzzle
* Interact with others
* Start a new hobby such as blogging, reading, painting, bird watching
* Learn new skill or a foreign language
Practice Yoga or Meditation
Yoga or Meditation relives stress. Stress is a known memory buster. With less stress, lower blood pressure, slower respiration, slower metabolism, and released muscle tension follows. All of these factors contribute significantly towards increases in our brainpower.
Reduce Sugar intake
Sugar is a non-food. It’s a form of carbohydrate that offers illusionary energy, only to cause a downhill slump once the initial burst has been worn off. Excess intake of sugar results in neurotic symptoms. Excess sugar is known to cause claustrophobia, memory loss and other neurotic disorders. Eat food without adding sugar. Stay away from sweet drinks or excess consumption of caffeine with sugar.
Eat whole wheat
The whole wheat germs contain lecithin. Lecithin helps ease the problem of the hardening of the arteries, which often impairs brain functioning.
Eat a light meal at night
A heavy meal at night causes tossing and turning and a prolonged emotional stress while at sleep. It’s wise to eat heavy meal during the day when our body is in motion to consume the heavy in-take. Eating a light meal with some fruits allows us to sleep well. A good night sleep strengthens our brainpower.
Greeks mastered the principle of imagination and association to memorize everything. This technique requires one to develop a vivid and colorful imagination that can be linked to a known object. If you involve all your senses - touching, feeling, smelling, hearing and seeing in the imagination process, you can remember greater details of the event.
Control your temper
Bleached food, excess of starch or excess of white bread can lead to nerve grating effect. This results in a violent and some time depressive behavior. Eat fresh vegetables. Drink lots of water and meditate or practice yoga to relieve these toxic emotions of temper and stressful mood swings.
Take Vitamin B-complex
Vitamin B-complex strengthens memory power. Eat food and vegetables high in Vitamin B-complex. Stay away from the starch food or white bread, which depletes the Vitamin B-complex necessary for a healthy mind.
I don't believe these are that tough. If you find yourself increasing stumped, give a couple of these a try.
Written by Shilpan Patel of Success Soul and cross-posted from Dumb Little Man, a web site that provides tips for life that will save you money, increase your productivity, or simply keep you sane.
Sunday, November 2, 2008
Here are some things you can begin doing as soon as today to begin the great brain tune up:
Ramblings by Aquababe at 21:27
Saturday, June 14, 2008
from a friend's email:
I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....Pass it on.
OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
...thanks Anna for the email, I'm sharing this to everybody...
After reading this, you'll NEVER look at a banana in the same way again!
Bananas Containing three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber, a banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes. But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.
According to a recent survey under taken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.
Forget the pills -- eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.
High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it the perfect way to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure a nd stroke.
200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.
High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.
One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrat es your system.
Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.
Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.
Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.
Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.
Overweight and at wo rk?
Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.
The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.
Many other cultures see bananas as a 'cooling' fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.
Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.
Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates yo ur body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.
According to research in 'The New England Journal of Medicine,' eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!
So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrates, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around. So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, 'A banana a day keeps the doctor away!'
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Looking great begins with the skin. One may not need to buy all of the skin care products they would find on promo in the net, magazines or recommended by beauty experts and endorsed by celebrities. Skin care is a simple 3-step method that you need to know and do, and that is: 1. Cleanse, 2. Exfoliate 3. Moisturize
Learn the easy steps to great, young, healthy skin:
• Cleanse. Avoid soaps. They’re not meant for the facial skin. Use a cleanser meant for the face. Pick the one suitable for your skin type and stick with it. Try not to use the one that only allows you to clean your face by applying the cleanser and wiping it off. Water is very important in your daily cleansing routine as it helps open up the pores ad absorb the dirt that is lodged in it. As much as possible do not over cleanse as this will dry your skin out. Here's how to wash your face: In the morning warm up some water. This will loosen the dirt and unclog your pores, with the help of a bit of cleanser, the amount depends on the instruction on the tube, massage the cleanser on your face so you stimulate the nerve endings on your face at the same time. Then rinse with cool or lukewarm water. You should also repeat the process before retiring to bed. Avoid sleeping with make up on. Never use hot water but you can use steam to loosen it however, don’t rinse with cold water after steaming as this will eventually numb your face. Cetaphil and Nivea are good skin cleansers.
• Exfoliate. A lot of people think that scrubbing your face is a no-no because it might irritate the skin and leave it rough and prone to dirt. Actually it is the opposite. When the skin is scrubbed the topmost layer is removed, therefore new skin grows in its place. Without scrubbing, you will find that your skin is dull from the old layer that has been there. Scrubbing the skin is not a daily thing but it can be done twice a week. You can also have it done professionally like microdermabrasion by your dermatologist or skin care expert. Usually a brand like Nivea or Ponds will have a skin cleanser and is paired with a facial scrub cleanser. Use the cleanser daily then choose a fixed schedule for the facial scrub. The facial scrub will have the micro beads to remove your dead skin cells. Your skin will feel tighter after using a facial scrub cleanser. Toners are recommended but depending on your skin type. If your skin already feels tight after you have washed your face then a toner may no longer be needed. Usually, people with oily skin still need to use a toner to close up their pores. Well, if you will use a toner, I suggest Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2 since it works for most skin types. Toners usually remove the dirt that the cleanser can’t remove, then it closes up the pores. A natural toner that you can use is Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). It tones the skin good so that your pores will be less noticeable at you T-zone. Also, one natural scrub that you can use would be the inside of cucumber skin. After cleansing, scrub the cucumber skin onto yours and you will feel that it’s smoothed off the old skin and you will have that refreshed feeling. Exfoliating helps you get radiant, glowing skin. Exfoliation helps you maximize the effect of moisturizing your face. One cheap way of exfoliating your skin is with the use of baking soda twice a day on your set schedule. Baking soda is an effective way to clean out and reduce the appearance of large pores. You can use 3 or 4 tablespoons of baking soda to 1 or 2 tablespoons of water. Rub all over the face, and pay extra attention to areas with larger pores. If your skin is too dry, add a small amount of olive oil to avoid drying it up. Then, rinse off.
• Moisturize. Whatever your skin type is you need to moisturize. If your skin is oily, use a thin layer and use it whenever you go out in the sun. A sunscreen with moisturizer is recommended if that is the case. Only your skin will tell you whether you need a lot of moisturizer or not. When you see fine wrinkles appearing it means you need to use more. If you overdo it, your pores will be clogged and you tend to develop pimples. So let your skin tell you how much you need for your face. Make sure that when you pick a moisturizer you read what it contains and that it is water based. Oil based moisturizers clog up your pores. Remember, the main thing for skin care is water, water, water. You need to watch out for the chemicals contained in the moisturizers. Usually it does not do anything for your skin but irritate it. Plus, if your pores are not closed these chemicals may go into your bloodstream. Water based moisturizers are usually thin and easy to apply. They usually don’t contain too much of unwanted chemicals or harmful ingredients. Good moisturizers include Vitamin E or Vitamin C that helps keep your skin looking and feeling younger and supple. You will find that most skin products would have these two essential vitamins, especially Vitamin C since there were recent studies that show it is very essential for taking care of your skin. One moisturizer that is found to be very effective would be Virgin Coconut Oil or VCO. Well it is oil but a different kind of oil since it is unsaturated, it is good for keeping the moisture on your skin. Virgin Coconut Oil is known to prevent wrinkles and sagging skin. After cleansing and exfoliating, don’t towel off the water from your face yet, put a small amount of VCO on your palm and spread it evenly on your face. Make sure that what you use will be for a thin layer. What is good about using coconut oil is that, it is known to be anti-bacterial and this will help prevent you from getting acne infections.
Choose the best way to take care of your skin from the tips above and you are on your way to great skin!
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Your muscles tired, you suddenly stop doing a physical activity like typing on a PC or any desk job, or you just woke up...what is the primary movement you do after such moments? STREEEEEETCH! If that is not normal to you then something is wrong. Just as a cat needs to stretch after nap so should humans. We stretch to release the tension on our muscles, we stretch so our bones can absorb fresh energy and we stretch to strengthen our skeletal frame. Most women don't know that if they don't stretch it will compact their spine and affect their posture and height. Some people don't find it necessary to stretch and they end up too sluggish, too spent and sleepy even if their day had just started. I didn't realize this even after my hubby bought me a book entitled Stretch Your Life. It was sitting on my shelf for more than a year until i started working nights. I felt the pain at my lower back and instinctively started stretching on my chair at the office. I'd arch my back until it would feel good. My gym ball waiting for me in my room did start serving its purpose, i'd do a back bridge on it and from then on i stopped having lower back pains. However, i thought the more you hold the stretch, the better. Well, NOT! I gained a torn muscle just by extending my stretches, that the pain stayed for almost a month, it was almost disability and i stopped working for a few days just because of that. I thought that holding it for more than 3 seconds will help me but it actually did worsen the situation. Then i started reading the book my hubby gave me and there i learned about AIS which is the Active Isolated Stretches. AIS is all about the proper way of stretching the different parts of your body - breathing properly and holding it for a certain amount of time and not overdoing it. The author of the book is Chris Watts and 2 of his friends demonstrated the different stretches for your body in the book. It has pictures for the easy to follow steps and whats good is the book was made with some infused humor that a lot people think that stretching isn't too exciting or should it be given much attention. You can also find their demo on STRETCHASIA and they can explain in their site how stretching can improve your posture and save you from getting therapy after therapy for bad backs. Stretching can actually improve your life and make you feel new every time. SO STRETCH THAT BODY AND FEEL THE DIFFERENCE!
Monday, February 25, 2008
1. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.
2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. Buy a lock if you have to.
3. Buy a DVR and tape your late night shows and get more sleep.
4. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement, 'My purpose is to __________ today.'
5. Live with the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.
6. Play more games and read more books than you did in 2007.
7. Make time to practice meditation, yoga, tai chi, and prayer. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives.
8. Spend time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6.
9. Dream more while you are awake.
10. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.
11. Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat blueberries, wild Alaskan salmon, broccoli, almonds & walnuts.
12. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
13. Clear clutter from your house, your car, your desk and let new and flowing energy into your life.
14. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
15. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
16. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card.
17. Smile and laugh more. It will keep the energy vampires away.
18. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
20. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
21. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
22. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.
23. Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
24. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
25. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five years, will this matter?'
26. Forgive everyone for everything.
27. What other people think of you is none of your business.
28.. GOD heals almost everything.
29. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
30. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
31. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
32. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
33. The best is yet to come.
34. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
35. Do the right thing!
36. Call your family often. (Or email them to death!!!) Hey I'm thinkin of ya! =)
37.. Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements: I am thankful for __________. Today I accomplished _________.
38. Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.
39. Enjoy the ride. Remember this is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fast pass.. You only have one ride through life so make the most of it and enjoy the ride.
40. Please share this to everyone you care about.
Ramblings by Aquababe at 01:31
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Yes I did, at WIKIMAPIA! It's an online map very similar to Google Earth but, you are allowed to mark a certain place that could be of interest to others. It could be your school, some famous restaurant or store, or it could be your crib. You can zoom it in enuf to see the roof of whatever ur gonna mark and it allows you to assign a URL for that specific place and of course a unique description of what the place is. It's free to mark your spot but if any body finds that it is not useful and they vote for it's non-usefulness then your mark will be removed. It takes a few hours before your mark will be shown in the map. The best thing for you to do to save the location is to drag the location in the middle of your screen where an x marks the middle and then you bookmark it. The next time you open the site with that bookmark and you click on the mark you will be asked if the mark is appropriate then you just click yes then the mark will be permanent. You can use this when showing your friends the direction to your house or let's say you are inviting friends to your wedding or any other party, this is one great tool. I know some of you have GPS! Anyway, this thing you can print out if you need to. Have fun marking your spot.
Saturday, February 9, 2008
...As you can see, my blog had just gotten a new background! After several attempts to change the background, ta-daaah! New refreshing look :) I just got tired of the plain template I had. I thought, if i can do it on MySpace, I can certainly do it here and i need not be a genius at that. Just a little tinkering here and there, and you come up with a the look of your own. Me and my equally yummy hubby enjoyed the change cuz it somehow enhanced the pictures in my posts. Anyway, on to posting later, need to deal with the headache of seeing HTML codes, :P
Saturday, February 2, 2008
This picture was taken by the crater lake of Taal Volcano last September 2007 (oops, sorry for the wrong time stamp). Wait a minute, u might think, if we're by the crater lake of Taal, then what is that mound at the background? Well, that is the Taal Volcano you always find in other people's pictures and on post cards, posters and even in children's textbooks. That's not the real volcano cuz the real one is right by us in that pic, which u can see in this next one:
That mound behind us is actually just a part of the Taal Volcano and it's not the real deal. The real deal is, you take a horseback ride goin' up the crater lake. Man, the horseback ride is kinda expensive so we decided to walk and hike! Me and Bry we're actually undecided to really hike up the crater because at the first part of the journey you really get to inhale dust and the funky smell of horse crap. This is why as you register at the Dept of Tourism booth they will hand you a face mask so you also avoid inhaling sulfur that goes with the dust. Here are pics of the red hot soil close to the peak and the sulphur deposits:
At the first leg me and Bry would ask each other, do you really wanna do this??? We've paid for the trip and the purpose of driving down there was to finally see it, so we both agreed, LET'S GO FOR IT!!! So, here's Bry with our tour guide Mang Totoy:
However the Taal Volcano tour actually began from Tagaytay. We scouted for a guy who can lead us to a place to stay overnight, so we met Mang Totoy by McDonald's in front of Taal Vista Hotel then he led our car with his friend's motorbike down Talisay to a private resort where we will take a boat to the hike path of the crater lake. It was a hot day so we cooled ourselves down at the pool. The kids had fun since the pool had a mini slide.
Then at 3pm we sailed to the other side of the lake to get to the volcano...
to be continued...........
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
It's nothing but COMBAT ABS taken from Matt Furey site. It doesn't only help you lose the unwanted fat but it is to greatly improve digestion. Anyone who travels often knows how a simple change in food, time, weather, work hours, and so on - can put your digestive system in disorder. But when you do the Farmer Burns Stomach Flattener - that's not a problem. What's also good is, it's not as hard as super-motivating yourself or dragging your feet to do crunches everyday. Below is the easy as pie step by step way to a flatter tummy:
Farmer Burn’s Stomach Flattener
1.) Stand Erect with your feet shoulder-width apart and
your toes pointed forward
2.) Relax your shoulders, letting your arms hang at your
sides. Inhale through your nose with your tongue on
the roof of your mouth.
3.) Inhale as deeply as you can, filling your lungs.
4.) As you inhale, gently hold your abdomen in. Don’t let it
5.) Once your lungs are completely full, “Close the mouth
and throat tightly, and try to force the breath out, but
resist so that none escapes. Force hard, and the
muscles of the abdomen will be contracted until they
are tight and rigid. Force the air downward with all the
power you possess. Clinch the fists – and exert much
strength… The process of trying to exhale the breath,
but you voluntarily hold it in, and by this resistance
most thoroughly exercise the muscles of the abdomen,
stomach and other internal organs.”
6.) When you do this exercise, “Hold the breath in this
way for two to five seconds, and then gently allow the
breath to escape. Exhale as much as possible so that
you will take in a new full quantity of fresh air.”
7.) It is not uncommon to get a light-headed or dizzy
feeling when first doing this exercise. As you get
better at the exercise, this will pass.
1.) Begin from a bent-over position with your hands resting
on your knees.
2.) Slowly exhale all air from your lungs.
3.) Once all has been exhaled, do not inhale right away.
Rise slightly instead and lift diaphragm, pulling your
4.) Hold for six seconds or longer.
5.) Inhale through your mouth.
6.) Catch your breath and repeat.
Tai Chi Waist Turner
1.) Stand in a relaxed position with your feet about
shoulder-width apart. Allow your hands to hang freely
at your sides.
2.) Without trying to move your arms, begin turning your
body from side to side. As you turn, let the centrifugal
force swing your arms from side to side.
3.) Each time you have turned as far as you can go, your
hand gently slaps your back in the kidney area, giving
it a gentle massage.
4.) Breathe naturally as you turn from side to side.
5.) Do 50-100 repetitions each day.
Back Arch with Forward Bend and Squeeze
1.) Place hands on hips. Feet are spaced about shoulder-
2.) Inhale deeply and lean back as far as possible.
3.) Pause for a moment and then bow forward.
4.) As you bend forward, exhale vigorously and squeeze
your abdominal muscles.
5.) Repeat for 10-20 repetitions.
Dynamic Side Bend Stretch (and Isometric Squeeze)
1.) Start with your feet shoulder-width or wider apart.
2.) Extend your left hand so that your bicep is nearly
touching your ear.
3.) Inhale deeply, then bend to the right as far as possible
and slowly move back and forth.
4.) Stretch as far as you can but only move back and
forth about a half inch. This is a dynamic stretch.
5.) After 50 repetitions, you can also hold and do an
isometric stretch contraction for 6-8 seconds.
6.) Repeat on the other side.
Hands Overhead Side Bend
1.) Stand with feet comfortably spaced.
2.) Interlock the fingers of your hands and reach to the
ceiling with your palms facing upward.
3.) Inhale deeply and stretch to the right as far as you
4.) Squeeze all the muscles of the upper back as well as
those along the sides.
5.) Hold for six to eight seconds, and then exhale.
6.) Repeat for six repetitions then switch sides.
1.) Begin with your feet comfortably spaced
2.) Place your hands on your hips and inhale deeply.
3.) Bend sideward and then begin tracing a clockwise
circle with your head and shoulders leading the way.
4.) Concentrate on your obliques as you rotate.
5.) Exhale when you reach the starting position. Inhale
and repeat nine more times in the same direction. Then
switch directions and do 10 more repetitions.
I promise you, it works!!!!!!